Monday, September 12, 2011

Manic Day

Monday, September 12, 2011

I can hear the lyrics of that Prince penned tune ringing in my ears, “Just another manic Monday…”

Starting the working week is like practicing for an imminent disaster at my house. Lunches are being shoved into bags, people are asking for coffee stat and books and papers are being sought out with frenzy. Freshman, Junior, Director of Marketing and lawyer; all are running about searching, packing and ranting. I don’t think we all actually sit at the table for breakfast at the same time. Might be an overlap occasionally but it is not something that usually happens.

My commitment to the American way, my valiant effort, is to insure that Monday’s breakfast is a decent one. My wife this morning got grits with cheddar cheese and heirloom tomatoes mixed. Secundus received dry toast and a bowl of raspberry applesauce (homemade) and Primus got a mini-melon fresh from the farmer’s market. I scooped out the seeds from that puppy and they are drying in a paper towel for next year. Me I had oatmeal with walnuts, currants and half and half. 3 of the 4 bleary eyed maniacs got black Kenyan coffee and one opted for milk.

The two moments of the weekend that stood out. First, while having dinner at a Chinese restaurant my oldest borrowed my iphone. When I told him to given it back after about 10 minutes he let me know he was in the middle of his physics homework. Apparently it is all math and all online. With the iphone’s scientific calculator and the web interface he was good to go. My how the world has changed, if the parents’ conversation turned boring do your physics homework online.

Second was the issue of the artistic temperament thing we have been dealing with. On Sunday I found out Secundus was trying out for a role in the Scottish play. Banquo, Duncan, McDuff would all be good parts. But as a frosh he might just get to be one of the assorted murderers. The way it came out was that he had an opportunity to audition for the MSU children’s choirs.

For years Secundus has wanted to be in the choir. But yesterday he seemed to just not care. ADHD/Depression whichever it is he was in a funk. In the end it came down to cajoling him by couching his audition as a dry run for auditioning for Mackers. While others were told the choir master would be in touch Secundus was accepted on the spot.

It is hard to watch a child with talent struggle so. To see why he was accepted so readily into the choir, see below.

No comments: