Thursday, December 9, 2010

Joy In Odd Places


Thursday, December 09, 2010

Simple Joy

Sometimes you go to an event and expect nothing. Sometimes you are surprised by getting way more than you had a right to expect. Serenity exists and should be savored.

As a parent I have gone to probably 20-30 local school concerts all told. My presence at these performances was required because of participation by my children. First there were the 5th and 6th grade cello renditions. Next came the 7th and 8th grade bass workouts. In the bass years, because child two, affectionately known as Secundus came into his own musically, there also came the Suzuki piano recitals and the French horn concerts. At some point I had come to a Zen like attitude as to the passage of time. I can tell you how many slats of wood line the wainscoting of each of East Lansing’s auditoriums.

Last night I attended what I though was to be the 8th grade band’s performance cum French horn go round. But it was different. The school had combined the orchestra and some of the brass and created a symphonic orchestra of 8th graders. An 8th grade symphony, isn’t that amazing? In a time of declining funds, enrollment and general apathy the music staff had the stones to create a symphony. My hat goes off to them.

Dressed in black with frilly shirts and bow ties they shuffled onto stage. No incidents of poking or pushing were observed. The lights went down and it began. The music played included about five pieces. One was entitled Into the Storm. But the rest were from the Nutcracker. It was a delight.

Clearly what I was hearing was not the Boston Philharmonic. However the performance by the 8th grade symphony orchestra was joyful. It was clear they were proud and were playing to show this could work. They hit the notes, they played fluidly, and they sounded (for the most part) tight. I hate the Nutcracker with a passion but even with that in mind the performance was aurally pleasing. Instead of a band concert I got a symphony. Kudos to Dave Rosin director of the East Lansing 8th grade symphony.

Take joy where you can find it. It was a good night.

2 comments:

ONEWORLD said...

The band director does deserve kudos for going out of his way.

Joy can be found everywhere, I am glad you found some. I will certainly find it on my drive home from work this morning, despite the drivers without binkers or brains. I will find it the sunrise, a lone bird, the river, always the river. Each little thing is such a big gift, each moment that I live, an offering of love that I humbly accept.

John and Vicki Boyd said...

Hate the Nutcracker???? How are you on puppies and kittens? Wretch!!!

AFter appearing at countless kid-concerts, I share your pain...........and joy. Generally when they were over, but occasionally with amazement that my youngest daughter, with the help of a microphone, could carry a tune.

These ARE precious moments.


And I hate drivers who don't use their binkers.........except when I are one.

Happy holidays to you all.