Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Talk About the Weather

We talk about the weather because we must. By saying that it is cold outside, we identify that we are not comfortable in the environment today. Our comments on the cold may just be about the weather or they may be about something larger. Agreement on the issue of the cold as being uncomfortable may be an opening for a much larger, much more important conversation. This is one of the reasons why we talk about the weather. But sometimes we talk about the weather just because it is cold.

The color of the sky as far as I can see is coal grey.
Lift my head from the pillow and then fall again.
With a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
A quiver in my lips as if I might cry.
Well by the force of will my lungs are filled and so I breathe.
Lately it seems this big bed is where I never leave.
Shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
Quiver in my voice as I cry, "
What a cold and rainy day.
Where on earth is the sun hid away."
I hear the sound of a noon bell chime.
Now I'm far behind.
You've put in 'bout half a day while here
Ilie with a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
A quiver in my lip as if I might cry,
"What a cold and rainy day.
Where on earth is the sun hid away?"
Do I need someone here to scold me
or do I need someonewho'll grab and pull me
out of this four poster dull torpor pulling downward.
For it is such a long time since my better days.
I say my prayers nightly this will pass away.
The color of the sky is grey
as I can see through the blinds.
Lift my head from the pillow and then fall again
with a shiver in my bones just thinking about the weather.
A quiver in my voice as I cry,
"What a cold and rainy day.
Where on earth isthe sun hid away?"
I shiver, quiver, and try to wake.

Hey how many songs use the word torpor?

3 comments:

John and Vicki Boyd said...

So, like, now there are 10001 Maniacs???

maybe the weather IS crappy. As opposed to symbolic. Or maybe the clouds are both. All I know is that right now it's 5 degrees outside, and supposed to be colder.

J

Lisa said...

I am reading this now as the weather just hit 50, and thought I should just comment about the weather anyway. Michigan weather I love it, it is either dry or wet, no matter the temp.

Unknown said...

After 2 days of unseasonably warm temps., the ice in our driveway is finally starting to melt.


Hubbah Hubbah.