Wednesday, February 25, 2009

In Seeking Inspiration

In a meeting held in my office the other day one of several people in the room noticed a book at the back of my desk. The woman, a professional substance abuse counselor by training was referring to my copy of A Year with Thomas Merton. I was not really surprised that she was a person who was familiar with the work. The fact that she indicated she read it daily much as I do was a bit of synchronicity.

Dealing with damaged human lives is a challenge. At times it can be overwhelming. One of the reasons I read Merton is for perspective; to give my self a moment to step back from the wreckage and affirm that we can aim for something more divine. When I talk about wreckage I don’t just mean the people I meet with, I am talking about my own life as well. While my life is not measured in the trail of my dead, there are some people if I were truly working a 12 step program I would need to make amends to.

The person who noted the book comes from a different tradition of faith than my own. Her history of faith is probably more aligned with Merton doctrinally than mine given I came from a somewhat fundamentalist Protestant sect. However in a short discussion after the meeting I found that we both found something refreshing or invigorating in Merton’s words and that is why we both read him in the morning before the main part of the day begins. Merton is not for everyone, but maybe there will be a morning when you need a bit of clarity. You will be in that hour that requires focus beyond what the cup of coffee brings. Google Merton and read some quotes it might just be the thing that puts a better spin on your day.

1 comment:

John and Vicki Boyd said...

I got a better spin on MY day by spending it (and the last 2) with my youngest daughter and newest (4 week old) grandaughter. We all find substance in life where we can....