Wednesday, December 4, 2019

I Could Have Been a Porter on the Dixie Flyer

12/04/19

Go if you must go, but don’t cry a tear a for me.

Cold stark grey day here in early December.  A short few moments to catch some words on paper.  Today I remembered my ear buds and I am listening to my newly minted Chill Mix for Apple Music.  Lyle Lovett is singing a very carefully crafted song.  What a talented man.  I really don’t think he has every gotten enough credit for the combination of beautiful and unique tunes and careful word-smithing he engages in.

The impeachment is ongoing.  As I was eating lunch people in dark paneled rooms in Washington DC were speaking and pontificating. However, the bar were I was inhaling a BBQ pork sandwich, had the sound off. They were also replaying Michigan’s loss to Ohio State from last weekend and the sound was blasting..  Got to have your priorities straight.  We are only engaging in this process for the fourth time in our republic’s history, but people don’t want to wrap their minds around it.  How this plays out will determine what this country will be like going forward for decades. We are citizens, we need to immerse ourselves in this.

This afternoon is pretty full work wise .  People will be second guessing their life’s disasters in front of me.  Me, I will be trying to suss out if they are in a state of mind that justifies some relief.  Each life I see will offer up a road paved with good intentions. Hey, this is what they pay me for me.  I guess I could have opted for another profession.  

Maybe I should have been an escape artist or a human cannonball. Shacked in a box beneath a pool of water or flying across a crowd of people headed for a giant net, maybe one of these would have been the better use of my skills. 

No comments: