Wednesday, March 20, 2019

The Mint Julep Glasses.


On my first trip to the Kentucky Derby I went with my friends John and Bob.  This was Bob’s idea.  I had no idea what I was in for.   

When I told people I was going, about seven people asked for commerative glasses of the race. I said that I would surely get them. Note, I had only seen the Derby on television.  It all looked so gentile.  It all looked so elegantly southern.   

Arriving the night before the race and after parking the car for some exorbitant sum on somebody’s lawn, what I saw was something akin to Fellini’s Satyricon.  There was drunkenness, dope smoking and half naked people everywhere. They seemed to be contained in a cordoned off section of town near the Downs.  Vaguely I remember we were looking for a guy name Tom.  We found him standing on top of a US Mail box wearing nothing but tighty whities and holding a sparkler in each hand screaming some bizarre rant. 

Well, anyway fast forward, because it is all a blur, to the infield the next day.  At that time, we discovered that the infield gets hot.  We also discovered that the commerative glasses came with mint juleps in them.  Hey, I bought one and it was mostly ice, a splash of bourbon, some sugar and a sprig of mint. I figured with pacing I could down seven of these in the course of 12 hours.  Oh, I was so much younger then…. 

Whenever I could tear myself away from the infield’s show us your boobfest and the guy who was so drunk he was drowning in his Styrofoam beer cooler, I would buy another mint julep.  By the end of the day the mint julep vendor ran out of ice.  By the end of the day the vendor ran out of mint.  By the end of the day they ran out of water.  The last two commerative glasses I bought were just water glass sized containers of pure bourbon.  By the time the race was over I did not really comprehend where I was. 

After the last race it took a bit to rally and leave the racetrack.  Funny thing though, once you got out of the zoo of the infield, they were selling the glasses sans alcohol for about half the price of a mint julep.  Oh, the hangover I could have avoided.

No comments: