Monday, October 15, 2018

Two Photos of Portugal with Narrative



Lisboa Morning Light


Walking in this morning there’s a slow steady rain. Light precipitation not enough to stop me from putting in the work to get five miles in a day, but it is a pain. About a quarter of the way in I walked by about 10 middle school age kids standing huddled together waiting for the bus. These pre and early teens are subdued today. Usually they’re joking, pushing, laughing, jostling or staring at their phones but nary a smart phone light is to be seen in this black misty early morning. Further, they are silent as monks.  The drizzle today tamps down life.

A couple carrying two golf umbrellas are walking their pooch. He’s decided to relieve himself. I don’t look back to see if they use the little blue bag is required here to pick up his waste.  It is bad enough they must get up to take the dog out, on a day like this, they don’t need silent judgment.

I’m thinking about the next post I want to do for my blog. I’ve been silent for so long. When I’m not writing experiences and thoughts out, things seem to drift out of focus. Writing clarifies my mind. Writing purifies my thoughts. I’d say purifying in the sense that putting the words down on paper strip away the little bits and pieces that attach over time to the story as a memory fades. If I get my thoughts down now close to when something is happening, later when I look back I see a much more real vision of the experience.

Right now, I am thinking about two photographs that I must pull off the role on my iPhone. One shot is the view out of the apartment I stayed at in Lisbon. It’s a sunny day, (every day I was in Lisbon was sunny and hot). The particular picture was taken in the morning light before things got toasty. My mind tells me that what I saw and photographed captured the promise of a new day. Much of my trip to Portugal carried with it a morning promise of something new, of something interesting.

There is a second picture which comes to my mind. Captured within was the sun fading over Coimbra on the second night of the trip. Francie and I were having dinner of boar stew and wild deer loin when the sky just took on the most amazing shades. I struggle for the descriptive terms;  the faintest orange-pink, the growing indigo of evening, these covered the horizon. A couple of college girls giggled and worked their way through shared entrée and then a shared delicious looking dessert. Their talk was animated, and their hands were circling and flying about. What they were doing was irrelevant. The sunset at that day’s end was as beautiful as any I’ve seen in years. Maybe it was travel euphoria, or maybe the light at that time of day, at that time of year, in that place part way around the globe is just special.

Normally when I walk in the work I cut across a pocket park to get away from traffic on Harrison Road in East Lansing south of Grand River Avenue. The people from Glencairn fly down the southbound stretch of this rain-soaked road on their way to Michigan Avenue, where they turn heading to downtown Lansing. I don’t mind walking up this hill in the evening because traffic is coming toward me. However, the walk down is scary because people are flying in their haste to get to their desks. It always seems like I’m one second away from a pickup truck jumping a curb and shuffling me off this mortal coil.

Life is very short. I want to savor every bit that I have left. Maybe I have 10 or 15 good years left. Maybe I have four months. I don’t know, and it is not for me to know. But let me appreciate the good that is around me. Let me feel the rain on my face. Let me walk putting one foot after another from point a to point B with purpose and enjoyment.
Coimbra Evening Light

No comments: