Monday, April 24, 2017

Alive in the City




I have returned from the great white north.  
 
Walking the streets of Toronto this weekend, either alone or with Loren was decidedly a blast.  On both days there I walked through new neighborhoods. These were places I did not have any familiarity with and some of them were quite nice.  Strolling through a row of connected parks surrounded by seven storey buildings made me think that I was more made for urban that suburban living. I walked almost 10 miles on Saturday from a brewery to a weekend market to all sorts of stores that sold every single thing under the sun.
 
There is a joy in having the freedom to pass from place to place unknown making a new impression on each person you meet.  A city is a wonderful place for a gregarious person.  Soon I will just be an invisible old man but right now I could spend a couple years in a little efficiency apartment in the section of Toronto called the Annex, brownstones with second floor porches and stained glass windows.  I would love to spend the early morning having dark rich coffee and eating croissants from the local bakery smothered with orange marmalade.  Then I would write for two hours straight.  A brisk walk to see what was about and going would follow Next I would have a light lunch of summer sausage and fresh fruits and vegetables.  Then more writing would follow.  Finally in the evening I would be at a film or a concert.
 
Time is short.  I probably won’t ever get moment like these.  Still, I can dream upon paper of a world I would love.

No comments: