Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Awaiting the Cold Winter of 2016-2017



Out the window the view offered is a grey day.  Clouds are low and heavy laden with moisture.  Prognosticators of the weather say the snow will now come and will come at the state hard. 

Slightly west of here in two days the snow will cover you calves up to your knees.  Here our story is the powder might cover our shoe tops.  Prognostications of accumulation can be wrong; living in the north for even a short period you learn.  You prepare for missed guesses at what will fall and how fast it will fall.  A slight change in the wind speed and we will be deep in it.  A slight change in an angle of approach and the new snow blower in my garage will be a necessity.  Winter is now come.

Once I loved this place with all my heart and all my being.  Once I thought this place was an exemplar of all that was right in my country.  We were a place of heart and of four seasons. I still regard the environs and the people among some of the finest.  Folks here are hospitable and the land is beautiful.  Forests and lakes and large expanses where you have elbow room. Folks here still have some politeness left, although the influence of hundreds of channel of cable showing bad, nay awful behavior, has worn off some of the veneer of propriety that once predominated. 

My heart is no longer bound here because we have allowed our lesser selves, our petty selves to take the reins of our government. It is a shame because while I can appreciate a conservative, almost libertarian, view of the role of government that is not what we have.  What we have is a group of people promoting the self-interests of small segments of the population.  Instead of mandating strict equality the members of our house and senate are picking winners and loser and are creating a tiered system of social and economic classes.


I used to enjoy the snow. This year I will endure the snow.  My guess is that I will endure the next four years

No comments: