Monday, March 21, 2016

Temporary Art and Temporary Life




In the years of early awareness we are aware only of the external world.  Our senses fill with scent of the flowers of spring and the chill that touching snow with the naked hand provides.  We are keenly aware of the hours of light and the hours of dark.  If it is light every bit of our internal energy wants us to be doing something.  We live on a clock that says so long as it is light we should be exploring and doing.

 

When you are 6 or 8 colors make such a large impression.  The brighter the color the better it is.  Sidewalk chalk and tempera paints give us a chance to take the color we have seen and processed in the rudimentary structure of a mind we have at that age and put it back out there for comparison to and appreciation by the world.  We are all innate artists with a desire to make something to do something.

 

I think what I like most about this photo is the hand prints up in the corner.  These palms and digits expressed in chalk on concrete are shouting, “This is me. I am part of this great glorious world.  Notice me you passerby”. I saw this handprints and I notices.  It gave me joy to know one or two young people had joy on a sunny day. 

No comments: