Friday, May 1, 2015

The Prayer of Mere Existence

Friday morning. I took today off. My thought had been to escape for the weekend. Alas that will not happen. Others have exams, exams to prepare for and demonstrations to oversee. This leaves me home and I think I shall turn inward.

In the mundane there rests a divinity true and profound. With each chore we perform of cleansing, cooking, arranging and planning for day to day living we engage a spiritual dimension. In our acts of putting food together and of making the bed we join with millions of others in rituals of life. These repetitive practices are prayers to our existence. Things like hanging linens out to dry and scrubbing the knives are acts that imply we have faith that we are moving forward.

Looking out the window I see my neighbors grass is vibrant and verdantly green. It almost glows in the gorgeous light of morning. Tomorrow my neighbor or my neighbor’s child will mow that lawn. From putting the gasoline in the mower to checking the oil to walking the yard to pick up sticks and rocks the process is a meditation on the continuation of life.

We forget these are prayers and we most certainly confuse them with burdens. To be alive is to be in contemplation of the greater things.

No comments: