Friday, February 20, 2015

Cold



Accordions well they’re wailing. Some deep Texas roots rock is blaring out of the speaker in the kitchen. The refrigerator is running well the ice maker is grinder and grunting. Outside the temperature is a cold -5 F and starting to drop fast.

In a few minutes I will have to go move the wash into the dryer. Bang, bang, bang tells me that my permanently unbalanced washing machine is nearing the end of the last spin cycle. I will also have to go outside and grab some more firewood for tonight. Do I put on a jacket or not?

Cold from Canada has overwhelmed us in these few days since Fat Tuesday.  Every door and window seems like it has a failing seal.  The icy breeze is everywhere.  You can’t escape it in the kitchen.  You can’t avoid it in the bedroom.  You just cannot ignore its chilly fingers.

Last night the phone rang while I was changing out of my work clothes.  My best friend from when I was a teen was calling me to tell me how cold he was.  The temperature there was a full 15 degrees warmer than it was here in my little bit of the world.  He questioned my sanity and applauded my tenaciousness for living oh these forty years up here in the frozen north.  

What is there to do?  Well absolutely nothing.  Well I guess I do have to move the wet clothes into the dryer.  However as to the cold there is nothing to be said or done. I have been here too long to head off to warmer climates.  You just let the cold work into your bones and you accept it.  Such is life.

No comments: