Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Cold Saturday Morning with Bright Light and Song






Ergh… up early because I have things to do.  No one is really moving about but me.  Standing in the kitchen I am in the kitchen listening to Stan Rogers singing “The Field Behind the Plow”.  No matter how often I think the sobriquet is over used he was “The Late Great Stan Rogers”.  His songs are quite wonderful really.  Loren picked up the CD called “The Very Best of Stan Rogers” at a used CD shop in London Ontario over Thanksgiving weekend.  Barely a day has gone by we haven’t listened to it end to end.

Glancing over I see the family tea flask is empty.  As I was leaving PGHS in 1974 the chemistry department was getting rid of some unused beakers.  Still in boxes I took a couple.  Through the years I have dragged them with me.  Over the past decade I have used them to brew tea in. I will put the kettle on and dig out the Red Rose Canadian Breakfast Tea.  Yeah we are a quirky bunch.

Pretty soon I will have to brew my hot brown water.  God how I wish I could still drink caffeine but I can’t.  So instead at least the hot substitute of that delicious brew sans the jittery stuff will have to suffice. 

As I have been puttering I have cleaned off the aluminum trays, big-assed things we got from Sam’s Club, of the residue of chocolate chip cookies and nachos. That took some soaking and elbow grease.  My youngest is now appearing with a hungry look.  I think a quick trip to the bagel place will quell that desire.  Time to warm up the car.

Stan Rogers morning serenade is a good match to last night’s TV concert.  I had DVR’d a concert with Jackson Browne last week but never gotten around to seeing it.  It was on sleazy old AXIS TV.  The program, watched without any expectations was really quite good.  It was entitled I’ll Play Anything and his backup band included 2/3 of Nickel Creek (the Watkins).  The performance quality was quite high and the song selection was subtle and nice.  From Naked Ride Home to Before the Deluge I had no complaints.  And wow those Watkins can sure play.

Well the family has all awakened and is off for food and recycling.  Me I will keep cleaning.  So much for the news from the Butterworth morning kitchen.  Whether you are facing a wind chill warning like we are here or are sitting on a glorious beach in Mexico have a great day.

No comments: