Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Mid Month

Time has slipped by so very fast this month. With the return of the students to the educational process my telephone rings, my e-mail box fills and my calendar becomes over burdened with meetings. Issues at schools generate calls and meetings for a member of the Board of Education. Add to this the needs of my own sometimes very needy children and each tiny elusive bit of spare time I ever had disappeared.

Last night I went to a meeting at the middle school. I represent this school as an agent of the Board of Education. I carry our concerns to them, provide them a history of recent policy choices and I carry back their petitions for assistance relative to their school’s unique circumstances.

The meeting was fine but the people had to learn process. I have been doing this so long that running into someone who is not intimately versed in basic parliamentary procedure is refreshing. Learning process/teaching process was time consuming but refreshing. The meeting started at 6:30. I had left my office at 5:40. Between those two moments I had dinner at home. Post meeting I got home at 9:05 p.m. I had to get up this morning at 6 a.m. Tell me where is the spare time in that cycle? Tonight I will do it again.

The only old joy I have rediscovered in past several weeks is the New York Times Crossword Puzzle. Monday through Wednesday I hold my own scribbling down answers. Thursdays I may give it a try; that is a 50/50 proposition. I don’t bother with Friday’s it is just too weird. My son as a university student gets a “free” copy of the Times tied to his student fees and tuition. The value of that paper shall we say does not even cover the daily interest on his student loans on which I am a guarantor. I digress.

A crossword is a joy for a person with a vocabulary and with some bit of logical sense. Sussing out puns and word play keeps the mind keen and alive. To actually complete two puzzles on sequential days just seems like enough achievement to make me wake up the next morning. Oh I am old if the promise of a crossword puzzle is what keeps me going. Hookers and blow and loud, loud music in the old days sparked life but now dead trees folded into a quarter sheet attacked with ink is enough.

No comments: