Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Jacob and his Ladder

Genesis 28:15 - I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.


In facing the morning I search for a portent that the day will be good. Sometimes it is simply enough that the breakfast ritual flows without a hitch. Sometimes it can be the simple act of noticing with clear eyes something that had been sought but was partially obscured. Some days I turn to scripture or to other meditative thoughts to give me that bit of augury.

In reading from Thomas Merton’s journals there was a bit on today’s entry about every being discovering that they are at the bottom of their own Jacob’s ladder hearing God’s promise. Merton implied of course that we had to be listening. Isn’t that just like Merton? This sent me scurrying to the Bible Gateway online to find the tale from Genesis.

In speaking to Jacob in a dream God reaffirms the promise made to Abraham about how divine blessing will flow to the people of earth through their family. But God does not end there. He makes a promise to watch over Jacob “wherever” he might travel and I am assuming that encompasses journeys made physically, mentally and spiritually. To have the Divine caring for us would be nice and comforting. This promise that that oversight and care would be present “wherever” is so broad so all encompassing.

There is a balm in the hope of Divine intervention. Whether it is real or not the mere existence of such hope makes a difference. Hope opens up the promise of this day.

No comments: