Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Facing the Darkness with a Hand Extended in Understanding

Tuesday, March 06, 2012


Sometimes when I’m asked to describe the Buddhist teachings, I say this: Everything is connected; nothing lasts; you are not alone. This is really just a restatement of the traditional Three Marks of Existence: non-self, impermanence, and suffering. The fact that we all suffer means we are all in the same boat, and that’s what allows us to feel compassion.


- Lewis Richmond, "The Authentic Life"
On any given morning I hit a point where I must refresh my mind. For the past several weeks, well maybe for the past month I have suppressed that urge and did not take a few moments to ponder the meaning of life and the universe. But then there comes an event that shakes me and refocuses me.
Yesterday out of the blue an old friend called me and wanted to have lunch. We went out to one of those little bistros where you get a sandwich and some soup. It is the kind of place where there is always a flourish like a spring of basil lying atop the tomato bisque. By this description I am trying to say that the setting for lunch was quite enjoyable as was the company.
In the course of the conversation the topic of our words turned and turned again. We kept finding our way back to ideas both difficult and important. There came a point where we both addressed our age, mid-fifties and the fact that we had to be concerned or at least aware about the short duration of the rest of our lives. We talked about how extended family no longer existed and that caring for others as we age is now tied to our social web. We came back again and again to the question of what can one do with the time one has left.
The dharma quote above ties in so very neatly. We are all in the same boat facing a world where nothing lasts and where the end of this reality will be coming so quickly. However in the face of that we all remain connected. Aware of that connection we must be compassionate to make our and others remaining portion of the journey tolerable. Suffering is real but it is transitory and in our interconnection we can confront suffering.
A single act of kindness can change the world. A single act of kindness can make our lives and make the lives of others richer. Carrying out a single act of kindness can change the very nature of who we are. I must awaken to the connection between myself and others and I must be kind.

1 comment:

John and Vicki Boyd said...

Well said. Brevity is the soul of....wisdom.