Wednesday, December 10, 2008

If it is cold my gloves must be ugly

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It must be my age. Walking home tonight in 20° weather just seemed colder than it should have. I mean I really felt like my teeth would begin to chatter at any moment.

Walking in the cold has some good points. There were more colorful Christmas lights out on the houses tonight and the moon came up with a ring around it. As I looked up at that full moon so luminous I was reminded about a song on an old James Taylor LP. The chorus was about a circle ‘round the moon. It was on the eponymous album he put out on Apple Records. I have a copy of it still and have only seen it on CD a couple of times. His circle round the moon song was just a reworking of I Know You Rider that pretty much everyone was covering in the late 1960s. Still his version was awful darn pretty with that lovely voice he had back then.

Right now I have as part of my cold winter gear a pair of old leather work gloves. Though not incredibly warm these tanned cow hides do keep some of my hands’ heat in. Stained with paint and dirt from several years use nobody else in my family will wear them. We started out this cold spell with 6 pairs of gloves and now we are down to three and a half pairs, not including my too ugly to grab leathers. I get the feeling that most of my clothes will be picked this way over the next several years. With Primus being 5 foot 9 inches tall at age thirteen he will be wearing large coats and sweaters and the like soon. Anything with an element of style will disappear as his need dictates. Note to me if buying for self buy warm but really ugly.

In the fall my walks were spent listening to KYW radio in Philly over AOL radio on the iphone. I have given up on this because the service is really spotty. The Pandora service works much better and sends me off in new musical flights of fancy. As I was listening to Tom Waits radio the other day they slipped in a song by Morphine. I liked it. Now I have Morphine radio programmed in. No matter how I try to make the walk more interesting, music, looking at Christmas lights, etc., it is still cold. No matter how I deny it I am getting older and less resilient. So it goes.

No comments: