Thursday, August 28, 2008

I am not a Foodie


Today we journeyed from the coastal regions around Hilton Head to the mountains of North Carolina. At the start of our run it was 96 F and humidity in the 90 % range. Up in the mountains where we have stopped for the night it was 81 F and a just a whole bunch less humid. Humidity or not I will miss the beach. Hilton Head has a number of beaches and each has its own feel. The people vary from strand to strand as do the waves and the general settings (trees and foliage and walks to the beach). However and I grudgingly say this I liked them all.

Hilton Head has a quality of the Village from the old Prisoner television series. All the commercial buildings and signage are highly regulated. Almost every commercial facility is hidden behind palmetto façade. This can be frustrating because with all the earth-tone signage that is no more than four foot off the ground those of use that can’t see well often struggle to figure out where we are.

Hilton Head also is a place where the distinctions between the rich and the have-nots are very evident. Putting the have/have-not divide into an anecdote is kind of difficult. It may tie in to the parts of the island where the commoners cannot go or have to pay to enter. It may be the way the wait staff at restaurants treat you if you don’t bite on their solicitations for high priced specials. Still the food was good on the island and the road even if the waiters sneered at me.

On the topic of food we stopped for pulled pork barbeque in Spartanburg, SC. Good dead pig was had by 3 out of 4 in our group. I was limited to smoked turkey. Wow was that good. I know it sounds like this whole trip is food-centric. Well it isn’t but I am not upset with the food that is at the edges of each day’s travels.

Due to the gallbladder issue I have been eating things like steamed oysters, salmon, smoked turkey and various types of chicken breast preparations. Also I have been finding out how hard it is to cut fat from your diet in America. Good golly gosh about the only things that are not fried on the side dish menus are apple sauce, vegetable medley (if you are lucky) occasionally a baked potato.

Oh well tomorrow I will explore the city of Asheville.

1 comment:

John and Vicki Boyd said...

Obviously you've missed out on Vicki's deep fried apple sauce. Shame!!


Don't complain about the lack of signage until you again cruise the Vegas strip. Seems to me you've been able to find everything you've been looking for...and more!

My best to O Henry.


JDB