Sunday, March 23, 2008

Stuff about me

Activities:

Coffee shop dilettante. Solitary walker.

Interests:

My interests lie at the fringe of the known. I am drawn to things that feel common and comfortable but are slightly off center. I like to write and have found that correspondence is as valuable to me as fiction. Hey, sometimes the truth is magical. I like philosophy, Canadian history and classic literature. I am sure some other people can come up more detail on my interests but I am not sure I would post their thoughts here.

Favorite Music:

My musical tastes tend to run to two areas with some side trips. I like jam bands from the sixties, people like the Grateful Dead and the Jefferson Airplane and their various offshoots. I also tend to like singer/songwriters/balladeers, Richard Shindell, Joni Mitchell and Chris Smither. I also like jazz with a fondness for Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Ron Carter, John Scofield and Jaco Pastorius. My favorite instrument is the bass guitar. My desert island twelve in no particular order:
  • Richard and Linda Thompson-Shoot Out the Lights,
  • Joni Mitchell-Hejira,
  • Elvis Costello-King of America,
  • Ry Cooder-Paradise and Lunch,
  • Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny-Beyond the Missouri Sky,
  • Van Morrison-Poetic Champions Compose,
  • Grateful Dead-Wake of the Flood,
  • Nic Jones-Whichever one has farewell to the Gold on it,
  • Richard Shindell-Sparrows Point,
  • The Strawbs-Grave New World
  • Miles Davis-In a Silent Way (or Kind of Blue),
  • Emmylou Harris-Wrecking Ball

Favorite TV Shows:

Eureka, Moonlight, Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, Heroes, The Prisoner(I know this is not on the air currently, and that it is about 40 years old, but it is the precursor to most of the things on like Lost and Heroes.

Favorite Movies:

  • Grand Illusion,
  • Women in Love,
  • Scarecrow,
  • Cinema Paradisio,
  • Wings of Desire.

Favorite Books:

Favorite books tend to veer toward the meditative. Blackburn’s Think, Merton’s-No man is an Island, Chesterton’s St. Francis of Assisi and The Courtier and the Heretic (I don’t remember the author.) My taste in fiction tends toward the classics, Hardy-Jude the Obscure, Hugo-Les Miserables, Stendhal’s Scarlet and Black and Faulkner’s As I Lay Dying. Of contemporary writers I like Annie Proulx and Stephen King. Oh and then there is my all time favorite, the last 10 pages of Hesse's Siddhartha.

Favorite Quotes:

It is not the answer that matters; it is the integrity of the search that is the key.

No comments: