Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Two Stimulants that are Always Visible




The motivation for the posting of the Joni Mitchell song, the Three Great Stimulants was a walk in the alleyway behind my office. As I was departing for a lunch one day I noticed an odd bit of urban art. The piece had clearly been arranged by someone.

My mind saw this as an installation by one or more addicts in a private urban space. I snapped a picture to memorize the effort. The coffee cups were all precisely placed at an angle save one. The empty cigarette pack also seemed to be staged with care so as to complete this work comprised of lost/discarded materials. My mind gave it a title, Stimulants in Iron before Brick.

The only things missing from this shot are intoxicants and sex. Putting a woman in a slit skirt with a mostly empty microbrew bottle in her hand might be the answer to that. It would resolve the lack of completion that I see in this work. Maybe I will try and stage that and post the image.

Anyhow once the stimulants thing got in my head I started humming the Mitchell tune.

1 comment:

Amy Maureen Murphy said...

Having once lived in Kazoo and now, in a small northern community, it is nice to see that impromptu urban art still exists. I think it goes to show that the need to express ourselves creatively is alive and well within each of us, to varying dgrees, even the homeless or the addicted.
Thank you for noticing and for sharing.